Monday, August 2, 2010

Questioning God?

I run into questions like this from inquiring minds online all the time:

"If God gave man the power to think for themselves, doesn't that give man the power to question his existence? Why punish them for using his gift? If man decides to question (as any justifiable human would) how come God can't give some sort of sign that is unjustifiable by other means that he exists instead of damning them forever?


My Answer:     
God certainly doesn't punish anyone for simply questioning whether he is exists.  Usually punishments come in the scriptures once people firmly make up their mind that there isn’t a God, or choose to disobey him when they know he's there [Alma 30].
The lack of immediate evidence and signs for those who may not accept them or be willing to act on them is just one way that God protects our ability to think for ourselves, rather than permanently damning us because we weren't ready to follow through with his commands.
God is more than willing to give signs in the right circumstances.  Many righteous men in the scriptures required a sign from God to be certain that he was there and that what he asked of them was right.  They thought for themselves and didn't want to be misled.  These men were more than willing to do what God asked and God recognized their dilemma and responded justly in each case. Gideon said to the Lord “And he said unto him, If now I have found grace in thy sight, then shew me a sign that thou talkest with me.”  Gideon questioned God, and God fulfilled his request for a sign [Judges 6]. The scriptures are full of examples and today there are signs given to those who will accept them.
In my life I questioned whether God existed.  My life is a lot better because of this.  God doesn't ask for puppets to follow him, who will blindly accept anything.  He wants us to reason, and then act on what we see and know so far.  I’ve come to accept that God exists.  I’ve done this by judging the evidence around me, for and against a creator, studying the Bible and the Book of Mormon, and then asking God if he’s there.  The sign I received is very personal, but I know that God will gives signs to those who are ready, and doesn’t condemn those he feels aren’t ready to follow him yet. :D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this post thanks Victor! its john :D

Elliott said...

I like this post as well. I was talking two girls who were questioning the existence of God. And after I told them to pray and ask for a sign their lives turned around. This is a great post Elder Moxley!

Post a Comment