Thursday, August 15, 2013

Janell at Work [Episode 1]

At work today, I went upstairs to find some files and there was an IT guy who followed me up and told me that in his years of working there, I was the first girl he's seen run up the stairs.  I told him, "I love stairs, I love skipping, I love getting to move."

During lunch, I went and found a picnic table to eat and read and call Victor, I was talking with Victor, and there was three girls behind me at another table who were talking about relationships.  One of the girls asked the other girl, "Are you nervous to move in with him before you're married? ...I'm not meaning to get in the middle of your relationship...  Everybody loves talking about relationships."
I feel sick that she's moving in with her boyfriend.  As I was half listening and talking with Victor on the phone, I was trying to gather my courage to say something to the girls.  I said goodbye to Victor and remember that when your words are said with love, you shouldn't worry about offending.  I started packing up my lunch, and then found that they were packing up their lunches. I asked them, "So I was talking with my husband on the phone, I was not trying to eaves drop, but the little bit that I heard was that one of you is moving in with her boyfriend."  She affirmed it and then I said, "I studied family marriage studies in college, and learned how moving in with someone without commitment first can lead to problems later on in the relationship." And then asked their names and where they worked, they worked the same place I did.  I told them who I was.  As they were leaving, one said to the other, "well studies show..." That helped me realize how people think that they can always be the exception.  It took courage to warn her about her choice.

Anna who sits next to me, we were in the lunch room together and she complemented me that I'm always cheerful.



No comments:

Post a Comment