One of the members told us she brought a friend to visit and then had to run off to take care of something. Elder Spencer and I went to go introduce ourselves to her visiting friend, and after following Cassia around for a minute, caught on that she didn't know English. After talking to Cassia with her friend to interpret, she agreed to hear about the Book of Mormon and the restoration right after the 'munch and mingle'...
Cassia soon started to read the Book of Mormon and pray about it. We continued teaching her in the home of a family she knows that speak Portuguese as well. After a few weeks of reading, praying, and learning more Cassia still wasn't sure whether the Book of Mormon contained God's word, at least not enough to sacrifice anything for.
One time when we were meeting with her, to answer her questions, I felt like I had to read Mosiah 18:7-11 with her, even though it was her turn to ask questions. I think she was a little put off by that. We read the passage anyway. Everyone turns around the room reading the verses, with verse 10 falling on Cassia. She read, and then very haltingly passed the Book of Mormon to a seven year-old girl beside her to read the last verse. After we were finished, I asked if she would be baptized. She politely shook her head and told me no.
The next day her friend from church found us and told us that she wanted to be baptized. The next time we saw her, she said she was wondering why she shouldn't be baptized right before she read that verse. She made up her mind that she should be while the little girl was reading the next verse, and only told us no, because she was nervous. That night, after she made up her mind, she had a dream that she should be baptized.
Both of the talks were in Portuguese, but we could all feel the Spirit. Elder Spencer spent a week and a half memorizing the baptismal prayer in Portuguese, with a lot of his brother's help. He said it exactly perfect when he did the baptism. At the end of the Baptism, we sang, "Come Follow Me" in Portuguese.
Cassia asked me to do the confirmation and give her the Holy Ghost in sacrament meeting today. :D I did that in English, there was no time for me to learn that much Portuguese. Kinda wimped out I know. Even in English I was so worried about what I'd say as I blessed her. I shouldn't have worried and just trusted the Lord would tell me what to say. As I gave the blessing, I didn't even think about it, each word was from our Father in heaven to one of his daughters.
No comments:
Post a Comment