Friday, January 14, 2011

We Learn By Doing

I love this quote which my mother sent me.  I've been carrying it around in my jacket pocket for months and felt like sharing it today.  This quote from the prophet Spencer W Kimball is so important to me because it ties in three of my favorite scriptures with my purpose as a missionary and with the service I will render in  Christ's Church my whole life. 

"We learn to do by doing.  If we study the gospel to teach it we have acquired knowledge, for where we carry the lantern to light the path of others we light our own way.  As we analyze and arrange the scriptures to present an acceptable lesson to others, we have clarified our own minds.  As we explain that which we already know there seems to come to us an unfolding of additional truths and enlargement of our understandings, new connections, and applications."
-Teachings of Spencer W Kimball, p 530

From the Book of Mormon and the Holy Bible, I know that the call from the Savior to "come follow me," is an invitation to do as he would do.
"Verily, verily, I say unto you, this is my gospel; and ye know the things that ye must do in my church; for the works which ye have seen me do that shall ye also do; for that which ye have seen me do even that shall ye do;" [3 Nephi 27:21]
"For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you." [John 13:15]
"Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.  Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.  Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." [Matthew 5:14-16]
Don't forget, "we learn to do by doing."  The gospel of Jesus Christ is a lab course, not a lecture.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Like the thought of it being a lab, not a lecture. Too many people think the gospel is for those who already know!

Post a Comment