Tuesday, February 22, 2011

How to Investigate a Religion

How to Investigate a Religion

In high school, I had a lot of friends who belong to other Christian churches.  If they'd move away from their current church, they'd run into the need to decide which church to go to.  Each friend had a different process for what they do to figure out what church to make their own in their new neighborhood. I found some were really insightful in their methods, even if I didn't agree with their conclusion.  Others were in desperate need of guidance.

Until this morning, I didn't know about MormonYouth.org.  It's a really great site for learning how our religion applies to and helps teenagers in the Church.  A lot of it strongly applies to young single adults or anyone that wants to learn about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
I found a great blog post about how to investigate a religion.  They point out a challenge that you'd run into no matter what church you want to investigate:
Today, we have more sources for information than ever before. You can put a religion’s name into the search engines and come up with millions of links that promise to tell you everything about that religion. The library will have many books on most religions. People you know will have information. The problem is that the information in all these sources will conflict. How are you supposed to get at the truth?

I was really impressed with what a fair approach it gives, whether you're particularly looking to investigate becoming a Mormon or joining another church (which backs up the site's sub-title "For All Youth, Mormon or Not").  Thus, even if someone isn't particularly looking into becoming a Mormon, but wants to learn about another church, those principles should likewise be applied to that church.




No comments:

Post a Comment