This is an email I sent to an investigator to help her prepare for the General Conference broadcast of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints last April. I hope it can help you prepare for conference too.
Dear Becca,
I wish I had time to teach you more today, but life seems to be busy for both of us. Instead, I'd love to share a few things with you over email. You asked how you might prepare for conference. I found these articles which can help you get the most out of preparing for conference: Finding Answers from Conference and Questions and Answers
As I mentioned before, prayer is always the best way to prepare for conference. Prayer with my Heavenly Father has blessed me more than anything else I have ever done. Through prayer you can receive personal revelation-- directions from God-- showing you whether what they say is true, and how to apply it to your own life. The Apostle, Elder Scott gives some things to keep in mind as you approach the Lord in prayer in his talk: Using the Supernal Gift of Prayer.
I'm very excited that you are starting to read the Book of Mormon, like the words of living prophets, it contains the Lord's word and will for you. Reading it with the same preparation through prayer can help you know that the Lord has restored his church and all the necessary authority to run it.
As you watch conference, read the Book of Mormon, and pray, pay attention to what you feel. While the Lord still speaks to his servants directly, the most powerful way he talks to us is through the warm, comforting influence of the Holy Ghost. As a daughter of God, you are entitled to the Holy Ghost as a means of confirming truth and answering your prayers, because of the Light of Christ. I know the Book of Mormon to be true, and that Thomas S Monson is the Lord's prophet on the Earth, because of the confirmation I received by the Holy Ghost. I know you can receive it too if you continue diligently to study and ask for it, determined to act on what you learn is true.
I love hearing from you on mormon.org. Thank you for the great reminder to fast.
Sincerely,
Elder Victor Moxley
The articles I sent Becca are a great help with preparing for Conference. It doesn't matter if it's your first time watching General Conference, or you've watched it a hundred times before, these can still help you get more out of it.
Links:
Links:
Let me know what things have helped you prepare for Conference, so I can learn more myself. How have these things helped you prepare?
[Posted with Becca's permission]
3 comments:
Wow... this is great information Elder Moxley! Thank you for helping me to be better prepared! I wish I had more time! This will be my second conference that I have listened to. I can't wait! :) Last time I had my notebook ready to write down impressions that I had. I had questions, and I was sure that the Lord would reveal his will to me! I did get the answers I needed, but I was surprised to find , that some of the things I wrote down, were answers to struggles that I would have a few months later! :)
I am going to the temple tomorrow as part of my effort to spiritually prepare. We are talking about Conference as a family this week, trying to keep it on our minds.
There were some good ideas and resources at LDS Media Talk, too. For example, we watched one of the videos he listed, and I'll be using some of the printouts as well for our children.
That's a great idea. I spent the morning at the temple myself as well today. It gave me a lot of time to ponder the things I needed to know and ask the Lord in prayer to help me find the answers in Conference. I also found this great article today, Learning From Conference from the October 2007 Ensign. I'm enjoying reading through it right now.
Post a Comment