Saturday, November 13, 2010

Another Gospel

Well of Janez Nepomuk in Kranj, Slovenia
  6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:

  7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.

  8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

  9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

And what is the gospel that Jesus Christ preached?
Gospel means good news, and the gospel of Jesus Christ is his good news of what he's done.   That he lived, suffered and died for our sins, and rose from the dead never to die again.

The Galatians fell way from those simple truths, and much of the world had been led away as they had.  Paul was right to marvel at this, because it's always distressing to watch anyone drift away from the blessings that come from Christ's doctrine at work in a life.  It is certainly a curse to be without that sacred knowledge or to live without the hope that comes from Jesus Christ.

In a long period of darkness, many of those who would have followed Christ, were cut off from the gospel of Christ by those who killed the Apostles, and later hid away the scriptures from the common man.  Separation from God and his word was repeatedly prophesied in 
In the mean time, another gospel was preached.
"Behold, the days come, saith the Lord God, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the Lord:" [Amos 8:11]

When I was in Slovenia, I met many people who were still very much unaware of the simple truths of the gospel of Christ.   They like the Galatians, had been removed from the hope that comes from the gospel.  The famine continued there. 

While some are still completely led away, many Christians today understand that the very most fundamental truths of the gospel are the reality of Jesus Christ's suffering for our sins, his death on the cross and his literal rise from the dead.  Joseph Smith, grew up in a Christian home, and took that simple truth to heart.  He grew up with faith in Christ's gospel, and was willing to act on it.  Because of that willingness, Joseph Smith was able to say experience, "And now, after the many testimonies which have been given of him, this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of him: That he lives!" [D&C 76:22] 
Joseph knew that first hand that Christ still lives as I hope to someday, but until then, I must continue to build on my knowledge the way that Paul said we must.  "But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.  For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ."  We must receive the truth of the gospel by revelation, which is to learn it by our contact with the Holy Ghost.

 I was so proud of the Saints in Slovenia that  there that knew the gospel and pursued it like a great treasure.  It was my purpose there to invite others to come to Christ and know of his gospel by receiving the witness of the Holy Ghost.  I was there to invite them to do the things that will permit it to guide and speak to them, which is to live as Jesus Christ himself lived.

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, this is my gospel; and ye know the things that ye must do in my church; for the works which ye have seen me do that shall ye also do; for that which ye have seen me do even that shall ye do;" [2 Nephi 27:21]

I know that everyone can personally know that Jesus Christ still lives and wants to help us. I'm here to help those who want that knowledge. Feel free to contact me to learn what you can do to know it is true.



No comments:

Post a Comment