Sunday, November 21, 2010

Who do I pray to?

When I was a young man in DeMolay (a masonic group for boys), we would start every meeting, activity, and meal together with a prayer.  This was much like the practice that we carried on in my home of regular prayer as a family.  Many young men in the group, did not have a tradition of prayer in their homes, were not as familiar with it, and were far from a relationship with our Father in heaven.
When the time came to ask for God's blessing on our activity, sometimes one of those young men had never prayed before.  I loved the first question that would often arise when we talked about prayer.  "Who do I pray to?"

Jesus Christ answered that question very clearly when ministered among the Nephites, an isolated group of his followers in America. "And they shall believe in me, that I am Jesus Christ, the Son of God, and shall pray unto the Father in my name." [3 Ne. 20: 31]
We know that our Father is loving, and that if we pray to him our prayers will be heard. He is like us. He has a comprehensible, material body, that looks like ours.  He invites all of us to pray to him, in Jesus Christ's name to receive the answers to our prayers.
For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?

Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent?

If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him? [Matthew 7:9-11]
If you would like to learn more about how to pray, just send me a message on my Facebook.  I'd be excited to share with you what I shared with those young men when I was one in DeMolay.

1 comment:

Carol Ann said...

When we are sincerely engaged in prayer, it is hard to fell alone.

Post a Comment