Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Keep Christmas Going

.Several weeks ago, my mother sent me a reminder of a story that we'd read at home for Christmas.  I've been thinking about it more after Christmas though than I did before.  I can't remember the story, so if anyone can find it, I'd be very grateful.  I give the details I can remember, and hopefully I'll be able to fill in the rest eventually.
Christmas eve, a miserly banker (think of Ebeneezer Scrooge) was tidying up his bank for the holiday after his clerks and tellers had gone home.  He locked the front door, and made a sweep of the whole bank.  Last of all, he stepped into the heart of his bank, the massive steel vault.  Soon after stepping over the threshold of the vault, he heard the heavy door swing and clank behind him.  Startled, he turned around to find the door had closed and locked.
Since the bank would not open the next day, no one would come and open the vault to continue business.  Neither would friends or family come looking for him, for he didn't have any.  He spent Christmas, lonely and miserable locked in his own vault, because he had not personally reached out to the world.  When one of his clerks opened the vault on the day after Christmas, the banker was a changed man.  He'd had a day and half alone to ponder over his choices, and the value of relationships he'd previously disregarded.
This year, I spent Christmas surrounded by friends and fellow missionaries.  I also called home and talked with my family, which was quite a highlight.  I spent the season inviting people to follow Jesus Christ, experience his love and to share it with others.
Without those relationships with friends and family, Christmas wouldn't be as special.  It's hard to think of Christ's love, without the love of others immediately at hand.  Those relationships and the love that's there aren't built up in a day.  They come from extending Christ-like love to others, all through the year and building those relationships.  This is why my mother keeps one Christmas ornament over the kitchen sink up all year long.  It reminds our whole family to keep the holiday Christ-like spirit with us all year and not just when Target is selling decorations.

No comments:

Post a Comment