The Bible explains, "But the word of the Lord was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little;" (Isaiah 28:13)
People already reject enough of God's word, that he's not always in any hurry to give us more. Of course he gave more to his prophets, that were willing to listen nearly completely, than to the world at large. The Book of Mormon, which was revealed when there were many who would accept more, goes deeper into this pattern,
"For behold, thus saith the Lord God: I will give unto the children of men line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little; and blessed are those who hearken unto my precepts, and lend an ear unto my counsel, for they shall learn wisdom; for unto him that receiveth I will give more; and from them that shall say, We have enough, from them shall be taken away even that which they have." (2 Nephi 28:30)
This explains how God gives us more knowledge when we use what we already have. In times that the existing scriptures were used and loved the most, God revealed more to the world through his prophets. I know that God will give us more when we use what we have. It always surprises me how many people will talk all day about how they love the Bible (which they should) and how the Bible is perfect, but they don't read it, and they certainly don't apply what's in it. Why would God give them any more than what they already won't use? I'm incredibly proud of those who study love and study the Bible, and I'm glad for the light they have accepted and live by. I hope I can live by the light the Bible has given us better, along with the light and truth offered by the Book of Mormon and from modern and living prophets. Maybe when I do, I might be ready for greater light offered by our Savior.
Image taken from Flikr:
Into the Promised Land, Joshua 18, Abandoned Bible, White Oak Bayou, Houston, Texas 0420091320BW

No comments:
Post a Comment